RSS

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Deep Darkness

What picture comes to my mind when I think of idols is this:


            I’m focused on God. I’m thinking about Him, worshiping Him and living life in the joy of the Lord. But then it’s like a darkness comes between me and God. At first you can ignore it because it doesn’t quite block your view of God. But, slowly you stare at the darkness and can’t stop looking at it. Then it makes a barrier between you and God. You can’t see Him anymore. And, even if you can see Him, He now somehow seems uninteresting. Strange. Oh well, now you have the darkness to look at!
            Yes, that was a drawn out picture. But, this is what happens when you let idols take over your life.  1 John 5:21 says it plainly: “Little children, keep yourselves from idols.” That verse could seem so simple. Here is verse 20, “And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.” It seems like these two verses aren’t really related. But, they are! Verse 20 is saying who God is! That is the key to not letting idols overcome your life. Idols come into your life when you think God isn’t enough. When I first heard someone say that I thought, “No! Of course I think God is enough for me!” But, if God is everything and you are focused on Him how could you think of anything else? You have to keep your focus on God.
            One of the many idols in my life is laziness. I let doing nothing get in the way of doing things! I easily quit and I easily don’t even try. Many times I don’t even care. I’d be completely happy to let life just pass me by. But, God is so gracious! A few years ago God gave me the desire to keep going, make a difference and live for Him! Of course, my life didn’t suddenly become wonderful that day. I had to respond to that! My laziness problem is definitely a work in progress. I still have many horrible days when all I want to do is... nothing! But, I’ve found that when I have those bad days (and also when I have good days) I pray and worship God, He gives me the strength to keep going. You can’t just stop idols from coming into your life. You have to constantly keep your eyes on God. He is more than enough!

- Elizabeth Morphonios 
North Carolina

0 comments:

Post a Comment