RSS

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Not Of Wood Or Stone

Here is my problem. I bite my tongue repeatedly. Not only does this cause a minor amount of self-inflicted pain to said appendage, but also it is proof of a significant issue in my walk with the Lord. The Bible is chock-full of verses related to idols, and how we are to treat them. I get it. Do not bow down to a stick that has been carved to vaguely resemble Buddha’s third cousin once removed. However, what we fail to realize is that it is so much more than that. Idols are defined in Webster’s Dictionary as “A representation or symbol of an object of worship.” Anything, be it something we are bowing down to physically, or merely placing on a pedestal in our head, is an idol if we put it before the Lord.


For me, one of my subtler idols is this: men’s good opinion. “Should I witness to this surfer dude sitting next to me on the plane? I think we have talked about flip flop brands long enough. Nah, he’d probably think I’m really weird.” “Should I speak up when someone says religion is a crutch? I don’t want to come across as crazy.” It goes on and on. We are far too concerned with our good name, and reputation. Jesus said “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake.” 


If you don’t have children of the world hating you, you’re doing something wrong. You’re not taking enough of a stand, you’re not remembering the Lord’s wonderful mercies to you. When you do catch sight of all He has done for us, serving Him and living wholeheartedly for Him will be easier. And by easier I mean you will want to do it more, not that life will be fruit loops and rainbows. We are fighting a battle, and if we lose focus of whom our worship goes to, we’re going to lose. When you go to heaven, do you want to be told “I never knew you. Depart from me, evildoer!” or “Well done, thy good and faithful servant. Enter into thy reward.”? The choice on paper is obvious, living it out is harder. But I encourage you to press on and keep the faith.


-Darby Sproul, Florida

0 comments:

Post a Comment